This year Xfinity TV customers will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the Oscars like never before with access to the ultimate collection of content featuring highlights of this year’s event, the entire collection of Best Picture winners from the past 25 years, and clips of the most memorable moments in Oscar history.
Latinos have played a pivotal role in bringing many of these films to life. Xfinity’s Oscar destination provides an opportunity to celebrate those contributions by Latinos, both in front and behind the camera, including:
- Alejandro G. Iñárritu: The Mexican director has captivated the world again with his extraordinary film The Revenant, which has 12 nominations including Best Picture and Best Director.
- Oscar Isaac: This Cuban/Guatemalan actor has two great performances in Ex Machina and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Both films are nominated this year in two and five categories, respectively.
- Michael Peña: The Martian, in which he stars alongside Matt Damon, heads into Oscar night with seven nominations.
- Benicio Del Toro: The Puerto Rican actor was a major attraction in the gritty film Sicario, which has three nominations.
- Demián Bichir: His participation in Tarantino’s revolutionary western and three-time nominated The Hateful Eight, now ranks among his most widely seen performances.
The collection of “Best Picture” winners available on Xfinity on Demand includes a variety of films with Latino filmmakers and actors, including:
- Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance): Arguably one of the best and most innovative movies in history, this film brought unprecedented success to its filmmakers and cast. Mexico native Emmanuel “Chivo” Lubezki won in the category for Best Cinematography while Argentineans Nicolás Giacobone and Armando Bó shared the award for Best Original Screenplay with Alejandro G. Iñárritu, who also took home the Oscar for Best Director.
- 12 Years a Slave: This period film features an Oscar winning performance for Best Supporting Actress by Mexican-Kenyan actor Lupida Nyong’o.
- The Artist: This spectacular art house film, featuring Bérénice Bejo of Argentina, won five Oscars.
- No Country For Old Men: The powerful performance by Javier Bardem in this eight time Oscar winning film by the Coen Brothers earned the Spanish actor his first Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.
Other great movies that have changed cinema’s history are also available, such as Traffic, which gave Benicio del Toro the opportunity to deliver a Best Supporting Actor Oscar winning performance, marking the first time an Oscar has been awarded for a role played entirely in Spanish.
“We’re thrilled to give Xfinity subscribers the ultimate Oscars destination,” said Daniel Spinosa, General Manager Movies, Pay-Per-View and Commerce, Comcast Cable.”With the Xfinity X1 platform, we are changing the way people experience TV and giving our customers the opportunity to more deeply engage with marquee events like the Oscars.
“We are excited to team with Comcast to offer an expansive library of Oscars content to Xfinity TV customers,” said Justin Connolly, executive vice president, Disney and ESPN Networks Affiliate Sales and Marketing. “This is yet another example of our dedication to find unique opportunities that enable us to both make our popular content available to viewers on a variety of platforms and add value to our distribution partners.”
This year’s Oscars destination on Xfinity On Demand will feature the biggest selection of Oscars-related content yet, and will be available to all Xfinity TV customers. Before the show airs on February 28, customers can get acquainted with this year’s nominees, with more than 20 nominated films available to pre-order, rent or own. Film fans can also brush up on Oscars history with every “Best Picture” winner from the past 25 years available to rent or own.
Can’t remember which film took the top award last year or who won “Best Actor” in 2005? X1 customers can simply ask the question into their voice remotes and will be directed to the winning film’s page on Xfinity On Demand. Popular award-winning films like Forrest Gump, Titanic and The Godfather can also be found by speaking some famous quotes from each movie into the voice remote.
In addition, Xfinity TV customers can immerse themselves in highlights from the past 87 years with a collection of “Best of Oscars” moments, including:
- Memorable music moments
- Acceptance speeches from memorable favorites and first-time winners
- Tear-jerking moments
- Showstopper moments
- Funniest moments
The day after the show, the full Oscars telecast will be available to watch on demand through March 2. In addition, highlights from the event will be added to the Oscars destination, giving customers the opportunity to catch-up or re-live the nights biggest moments, including red carpet interviews, winner speeches, musical numbers, and skits.
“Through this partnership, we’re offering a unique end-to-end experience for all things Oscars,” said Todd Arata, Vice President, Brand Marketing, Comcast Cable. “Our customers have a passion for movies, and our couch-to-carpet Oscars experience provides the best way to enjoy the biggest movie award show and celebration of the year.”
The majority of the historical Oscars video content plus the highlights from the 2016 show will be available through March 13. Select Xfinity On Demand Oscars content will also be available over the Internet on the Xfinity TV and Xfinity TV Go apps and the event microsite, Xfinity.com/Oscars.