Banda Sinaloense MS De Sergio Lizárraga, Juan Gabriel, Nicky Jam, the late Ariel Camacho y Los Plebes del Rancho and Romeo Santos Nominated in Latin Category
It’s a First: A Norteño Artist & A Mexican Regional Artist Are Finalists
The Weeknd Leads This Year with Nods in 16 Categories,
Justin Bieber follows as a Finalist in 11 Categories,
while Drake and Fetty Wap Tie with Nods in 10 Categories Each
2016 Top Artist Finalists include Adele, Justin Bieber,
Drake, Taylor Swift and The Weeknd
Ludacris & Ciara to Host the “2016 Billboard Music Awards” Live from
T-Mobile Arena on SUNDAY, MAY 22nd at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
With help from the show’s hosts hip-hop artist and actor Ludacris and international music sensation Ciara, dick clark productions and ABC announced the finalists for the “2016 Billboard Music Awards,” honoring the year’s most successful artists in 43 categories. The “2016 Billboard Music Awards” will broadcast LIVE from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Sunday, May 22 at 8:00 PM ET on ABC. This year’s show will showcase big performances, unexpected collaborations and pop culture moments that will have everyone talking. The “2016 Billboard Music Awards” is produced by dick clark productions. Allen Shapiro, Mike Mahan, Mark Bracco, Barry Adelman and Robert Deaton are Executive Producers.
Hosts of the 2016 show, Ludacris and Ciara appeared in the 8:00 AM ET hour of ABC’s “Good Morning America” today, to announce the finalists in six categories, including: Top Artist, Top Male Artist, Top Female Artist, Top New Artist, Top Billboard 200 Album and Top Hot 100 Song.
Immediately following the broadcast, five additional categories were exclusively announced live viaBillboard Music Award’s Facebook and Periscope, followed by a live stream on ABC News of the remaining categories.
Banda Sinaloense MS De Sergio Lizárraga, Juan Gabriel, Nicky Jam, the late Ariel Camacho y Los Plebes del Rancho and Romeo Santos are finalists in the Top Latin Artist category.
The Weeknd leads the entire finalist pack with 19 entries in 16 categories including Top Artist, Top Male Artist and Top Hot 100 Song. Justin Bieber follows with 12 entries in 11 categories including Top Artist, Top Male Artist and Top Hot 100 Artist. Fetty Wap and Drake are tied with 11 entries in 10 categories each, including Top Male Artist entries for both musicians. Drake will compete against himself for Top Rap Album for “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late,” and his collaboration with Future on “What A Time To Be Alive.” Leading the ladies, Adele and Taylor Swift are tied with eight entries each including Top Artist, Top Female Artist, Top Billboard 200 Artist and Top Billboard 200 Album, all of which Taylor won last year. Other returning winners from 2015, who are also finalists this year, include One Direction, Justin Bieber, Romeo Santos, Coldplay, DJ Snake and Carrie Underwood.
Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth follow the lead with six entries. They received five each for their hit single “See You Again” while Wiz Khalifa is also up for Top Rap Artist and Charlie is up for Top New Artist. The late David Bowie was honored post-mortem as a finalist for Top Rock Album for “Blackstar.”
2016 fun finalist facts include:
- Adele is a finalist in 8 categories and is a contender to earn the most BBMA wins of any artist in history, a record currently held by Taylor Swift, with 20 wins. Adele has previously won 13 BBMAs. Swift herself is a finalist in eight 2016 BBMA categories.
- Justin Bieber is a finalist in 11 categories and could surpass Garth Brooks, who currently is the highest winning male with 19 wins, if he takes home 6 or more BBMA trophies.
- The Weeknd is a first-time Billboard Music Award finalist and leads all artists with nods in 16 categories (including multiple songs competing in the Top Hot 100 Song and Top R&B Song categories). If he wins, he will take home his firstBillboard Music Award trophy. With a near sweep of his 16 categories, The Weeknd could set the record for taking home the most trophies in one night. That single-night mark is held by Adele with 12 trophies in 2012.
- First time finalist Fetty Wap is a contender in 10 categories, including Top Male Artist, Top Hot 100 Artist, Top Song Sales Artist, Top Streaming Songs Artists, Top Rap Artist, Top Streaming Song (Audio) and Top Rap Song.
- Drake is a finalist in 10 categories. If he wins, he will take home his first BBMA trophy. He has previously been a finalist in 21 categories.
- Thanks to their smash collaboration “See You Again,” Charlie Puth and Wiz Khalifa are finalists in 6 categories each, including Top New Artist for Puth, a category won by Khalifa in 2012.
- First time finalist Silentó is a contender for Top New Artist, Top Rap Artist, Top Rap Song, Top Streaming Songs Artist and Top Streaming Song (Video).
- Sam Hunt is a finalist in 3 categories – the most of any country artist this year – including Top Country Artist and Top Country Album. If he wins, he will take home his first BBMA trophy.
- Hillsong UNITED is a finalist in 3 categories including Top Christian Artist and Top Christian Album.
This year could prove to be historic, in that Taylor Swift could beat her own all-time record for the most BBMA wins (she has 20), while Justin Bieber and Adele are also vying to surpass Swift’s record. Swift is a finalist in eight categories this year, and thus could extend her own record, or can be caught or surpassed by Bieber (an 11 times finalist this year with 13 prior BBMA trophies) or Adele (a finalist in 8 categories this year and also with 13 all-time BBMAs to her name).
- This is the first time in history that a Mexican regional band (Banda Sinaloense MS De Sergio Lizárraga) and a norteño band (Ariel Camacho y Los Plebes del Rancho) have been finalists in the Top Latin Artist category at the Billboard Music Awards and the first year where such a range of Latin music is represented in the category: Mexican Regional, Mexican Pop (Juan Gabriel) , Urban (Nicky Jam), Norteño and Pop/Bachata (Romeo Santos).
Billboard Music Awards finalists are based on key fan interactions with music, including album and digital songs sales, radio airplay, streaming, touring and social interactions on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Spotify and other popular online destinations for music. These measurements are tracked year-round by Billboard and its data partners, including Nielsen Music and Next Big Sound. The awards are based on the reporting period of tracking dates March 23, 2015 through March 17, 2016 and Billboardchart dates April 11, 2015 through April 2, 2016. Since 1940, the Billboard charts have been the go-to guide for ranking the popularity of songs and albums, and are the ultimate measure of a musician’s success.
For the latest Billboard Music Awards (BBMAs) news, exclusive content and more, be sure to follow the BBMAs on social and join the conversation by using the official hashtag for the show, #BBMAs.
Billboard is the world’s most influential music brand, built on the most complete and well- respected database of charts across all music genres. The Billboard charts define success in music. From the iconic Billboard magazine to Billboard.com, the ultimate consumer-facing destination for millions of passionate music fans, to the industry’s most elite conference series and influencer events including the Power 100 and Women in Music – the Billboard brand has unmatched authority among fans, artists and the industry alike. Billboard was named the leading U.S. brand on Twitter, surpassing the NFL, ESPN, BuzzFeed and MTV, with 7.5 million engaged actions in Q4 2015, and named an overall Top 10 U.S. Media Publisher in December 2015 with 11.8 million social actions. Billboard topped Shareablee’s list of U.S. publishers by engagement on Twitter in Q4, ahead of brands including Bleacher Report, BuzzFeed and The New York Times.Billboard magazine has scored major news-generating covers recently including Nicki Minaj, Lana Del Rey, Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber.
About “2015 Billboard Music Awards”
ABC’s 3-hour telecast of the “2015 Billboard Music Awards” scored an across-the-board victory, ranking No. 1 in its 8:00-11:00 p.m. time slot in Total Viewers, all key Adults (AD18-34/AD18-49/AD25-54) and Teens 12-17. Delivering its 3rd-straight year of Total Viewer growth (+5% – 11.2 million vs. 10.7 million) and gaining Adults 18-49 (+9% – 3.8/12 vs. 3.5/10), the “Billboard Music Awards” generated its most watched telecast in 14 years and earned a 12-year high in young adults – since 2001 and 2003, respectively. In addition, the annual show was up for the 3rd year with Teens 12-17 (+3%) to post its highest rating since 2003.
About “2016 Billboard Music Awards”
The “2016 Billboard Music Awards” are set to return to ABC and will be broadcast live from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Sunday, May 22 at 8:00pm ET/PT. The show will showcase this year’s hottest and biggest music stars. Billboard Music Awards finalists are based on key fan interactions with music, including album and digital songs sales, radio airplay, streaming, touring and social engagement. These measurements are tracked year-round by Billboard and its data partners, including Nielsen Music and Next Big Sound. The awards are based on the reporting period of March 23, 2015 through March 17, 2016. The “2016 Billboard Music Awards” is produced by dick clark productions. Allen Shapiro, Mike Mahan, Mark Bracco, Barry Adelman and Robert Deaton are Executive Producers.
About dick clark productions
dick clark productions (dcp) is the world’s largest producer and proprietor of televised live event entertainment programming, with the “Academy of Country Music Awards,” AMERICAN COUNTRY COUNTDOWN AWARDS, “American Music Awards,” “BillboardMusic Awards,” “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest,” “Golden Globe Awards,” “Hollywood Film Awards” and the “Streamy Awards.” Weekly television programming includes SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, from 19 Entertainment, a division of CORE Media Group and dcp; and “World’s Funniest,” from Jukin Media and dcp. dcp also owns one of the world’s most unique and extensive entertainment archive libraries, with more than 55 years of award-winning shows, historic programs, specials, performances and legendary programming. For additional information, visitwww.dickclark.com.