Epsom salt is hailed as one of the most beneficial and multi-functional products out on the market, and there is good reasons why it lives up to the hype. The benefits of Epsom salt begin with magnesium which is a very profuse element in your cells, right after oxygen and carbon. Magnesium helps the body to eliminate many destructive toxins and other free radicals, as well as soothing the nervous system, reducing swelling, easing migraines, and greatly preventing arteriosclerosis, which is the hardening of the arteries (a very bad thing). Magnesium sulfate, which is Epsom salt, is easily absorbed through the skin and is easily one of the most beneficial salts to use due to its numerous health and beauty benefits.
Origins – It gets its name from the place it was discovered, Epsom England, a small borough in Surrey, where the salt was produced from the springs that bubble up and meet non-porous London clay discovered by a farmer back in 1618.
Looking and feeling good – For many years the benefits of Epsom Salt has been renowned both for its benefits in beauty treatment and in general health and wellbeing. It’s this health and wellbeing aspect that is of particular importance in terms of following a holistic health lifestyle.
Benefits of Epsom Salt as a Beauty Treatment – Enhance skin health and improve the quality of your hair.
- Skin Cleanser: Cleansing is the edifice of clear and flawless beauty and Epsom salt is a fabulous skin cleanser as its rough and granular action tends to provide deep reach action and clarifies the skin pores to reveal the natural glow and grace of the skin.
- Exfoliates: At times having flakey and rough skin is a nuisance. The rough and vigorous scrubbing property of Epsom salt tends to level out the skin texture by scraping off all the unwanted.
- Acne: Epsom salt comes as a great blessing for people with pimple and acne problem; especially people with an oily skin texture. Removing the facial impurities with its deep reach action, Epsom salt, clears away all graces of sebum, oil, dead cells and offer clean facial pores free of acne. So leave aside the hefty spending for curing acne and simply salt away acne for good.
- Fades away scars: The scrubbing and exfoliation actions of this wonder salt reveal fresher and newer skin and gradually results in the fading away of facial marks, scars and blemishes.
- Hair care: You can also use Epsom Salt as a hair care treatment to remove toxins, clean your scalp, remove excess oil and to add volume to your hair. Simply add to hair conditioner in equal amounts; apply, working well into your scalp, and leave it for 20 minutes before washing out with warm water.
- Nail cleansing: Epsom salt is one of the best products to use in pedicure and manicure treatments. Cleansing of the nails is often difficult but this magic salt penetrates deep down and roots out the dirt and impurities and ensures their hygienic condition.
- Smooth skin: If there is something that can offer you facial smoothness like that of baby skin, it definitely is Epsom salt. Its combined exfoliating, scrubbing and cleansing properties tend to whisk away the uneven coarse and rough skin texture and leave behind skin results as smooth as silk. For women, this is one of the best beauty items to add to the daily beauty regime
The Benefits of Epsom Salt for Health and Well Being
Epsom salt is also great for your general health and wellbeing. As mentioned at the beginning of this article, the most effective way of getting the maximum general health benefit from Epsom Salt is to add it to your bath water – approximately 2 cups per bathtub will do fine.
Magnesium and Sulfate
Magnesium is an essential element that has multiple roles in helping to keep your body systems working to their optimum. It’s an important element in the regulation and activity of over 325 enzymes, some of which are responsible for reducing inflammation, for enhancing muscle and nerve function, and for reducing the hardening of your arteries. In addition to the many benefits of magnesium, the sulfate element in Epsom salt helps to increase your body’s absorption of nutrients, as well as being able to promote detoxification. Acting in harmony, these two important compounds of Epsom Salt provide many health benefits, including:
- Prevents hardening of the arteries
- Helps to prevent blood clots from forming
- Helps to relieve joint pain
- Soothes and relaxes sore muscles
- Soothes sprain pain
- Helps to lessen bruise inflammation
- Relaxes tension and stress
- Helps the body to detox
- Improves bone integrity
- Helps to prepare your body for a good night’s sleep
- Reduces the risk of diabetes through enhanced insulin management
All of the above listed health benefits of Epsom Salt are accessible just by taking a bath 2 to 3 times per week. There are certain other health benefits that Epsom Salt can offer too; when administered differently.
Foot health: add half a cup of Epsom salt to a bowl of warm water and soak your feet in it too soothe foot pain; nullify any odor, and soft than any hard and rough skin.
To treat constipation: Epsom Salt can be used as an effective laxative to help treat constipation, by adding 1 teaspoon to a glass of water. The magnesium sulfate that Epsom Salt contains has the ability to draw water into the bowel, which then softens any stools, making them easier to pass. It is recommended that you check with your doctor before using.
Bug bites and skin inflammation: Dissolve one tablespoon of Epsom salt into half a glass of warm water and allowed to cool before applying to be affected area.
Mild sunburn: the same solution as described above can also be used to soothe mild sunburn.
Make room for Epsom Salt in your holistic health medicine cabinet!!!
Finding natural ways of treating certain conditions and improving your overall health and well-being is the key in helping you to achieve a holistic health, and Epsom Salt, whether administered in a soothing, relaxing bath, or prepared in one of the other ways described above can be a great help. So always make sure you’ve got some in your medicine cabinet.